Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How do I defend myself against a mountain lion...?

I go to this humongous park with wide array of trails and courses to hike/run. Before I enter, there are signs all over the park that caution the runner that you may encounter a mountain lion or a rattle snake. The sign specifically states if any physical danger is perceived from the mountain lion, to raise your arms as high as you can and let out a huge roar in order to scare it off. I understand this procedure because it will hopefully scare the lion away and not want to risk it. But, what if a mountain lion is not frightened by my imposing position and it decides to fight me? Do I run away from it? Do I fight it off as much as I can? Do I carry a weapon? I don't think I have much of a chance against a mountain lion being only 5'6 barefooted and 150 lbs. REMEMBER, this is a trail in which there is nobody in sight within 2.2 miles because a lot of people don't enjoy the daily exercise anymore. The sign also suggests to be accompanied by someone, but I don't really have any friends so I go by myself. Most of the time when I read the warning sign, I always have to think about it hard, but I go anyway. Every time I run, this is always behind the back of my mind. Any likely advice on what you may suggest?

No comments:

Post a Comment